Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Review: Last to Die by Tess Gerritsen

Three children are brought together by seemingly motiveless and extreme acts of violence. They are taken in as students at Evensong, a boarding school for emotionally traumatized children in the remote Maine wilderness. Forensic pathologist Maura Isles suspects that the Evensong founders may be using the school for their own agenda. And her concerns grow when Detective Jane Rizzoli is asked to investigate yet another attempt on the life of one of the orphans at the school. What both Jane and Maura soon discover is that even a school protected by locked gates and acres of forest cannot shut out a gathering threat. When three blood-spattered twig dolls are found hanging from a tree, they wonder if the threat comes from outside the school, or from within.


Wanting to read this for quite some time and now I finally have my own copy! Let me bore you on how I managed to get my hands on this book.

I went for a stroll on my usual bookshop one day,(isang araw, I saw nakakita bwahahaha, sorry) and I was just haphazardly looking at these books on these numerous bookshelves when some title caught my roving eye. I couldn’t believe it, it was Last To Die by Tess Gerritsen! I was looking for this novel, like, forever! And there it was, in mint condition, wedged between an author I don’t know and an Erica James novel. With a fluid-like motion, so much like a surgeon’s hand, I extricated the book with both hands and almost weep in relief that it was in perfect form, the cover was glossy, it was in hardbound format and the pages were complete and intact, and now I finally have it. I automatically went to the cashier, I said hi and then all of a sudden she was babbling about the weather and other stuff  but I wasn’t really paying attention to her rumblings, I told her that I really needed to go so I paid for the book and left in a hurry. Why was I in a hurry anyway? It’s not like; someone else was interested on this book. In fact, I may well be the only Tess Gerritsen fan who went out of his way and emailed her and told her how much I love her books. Nah. It can’t be true; there are some others like me out there, Hmmm… why do I make it sound like something mysterious is going on??? I left in a hurry because I just can’t wait to read the book, been waiting for so long and now the waiting is over.

Well, enough chit chat, on to my book review! Last To Die’s appeal to me is the setting of the story and the plot itself. (Scroll up for the summary). Great story eh? You all know by now how I enjoy reading school-themed stories and a good whodunit mystery novel and these two are always a combination with Tess’s novels and that’s why I can’t miss any of her offerings. Last To Die started with a bang, Tess gave some info on what’s happening on Maura and Jane’s personal lives.  It’s good to catch up with what’s going on with these characters. Anyway, Maura is still single, that’s a bit sad coz I really want her to find a loving partner that would really take care of her, and she’s such an amazing person and such an accomplished doctor. Any guy would want her. Jane is living the domestic life; I hope she’s happy about that, she’s taking care of her daughter and husband, but from time to time police work is butting here and there and I think because of that she’s living a balanced life. Last To Die is a book that you must have, the story is fast-paced and the mystery keeps unfolding from page to page. Tess is in top form with this book and I highly recommend it.

Soon to be released: Die Again by Tess Gerritsen (There’s no news yet on Tess’s official website but there are other sites that featured this book as an upcoming release from Tess later this year. I hope it’s true!)

My Rating: stars

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!