Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: The Revelation by Bentley Little

SYNOPSIS: 
The local minister vanishes, his church defiled by blasphemous obscenities scrawled in goats blood....A crazed old woman in her eighties becomes pregnant....Herds of animals are discovered butchered in a field....And one by one, the good folks in town are falling victim to the same unspeakable fate....Now, an itinerant preacher has arrived spreading a gospel of cataclysmic fury. Darkness is falling on Randall, Arizona. The smell of fear lingers in the air. And stranger things are yet to come...
MY REVIEW:  
 
When I was in college, I used to go to my cousin’s house where they have a small library with a variety of books; they have mystery, detective stories, drama, romance, sci-fi and horror. Book covers have a very strong appeal to me, I even sometimes look at the cover alone and if I like it, I’ll just buy it. Yeah, that’s me. An impulsive buyer and sometimes this tendency gets me into trouble (books covers are good, the content? Not that much sometimes.) When I saw the cover of Bentley Little’s book The Town, I was captivated by it. The cover alone speaks volumes about the book. I grabbed and devour it in three days. I wasn’t wrong, the book was terrific. That was the case with The Revelation, the cover got me interested. The synopsis was perfect for the book cover. I told myself that I was in for a treat.

The Revelation won the prestigious Bram Stoker Award many years ago and that fact alone got me wired up. It was very hard to find this book, I’ve searched everywhere. I wasn’t able to locate a copy, I was so frustrated. One day my uncle who lives abroad phoned in and one topic led to another and the next thing I know, we were talking about my blog and how I love to read books. Out of the blue, he wanted to send me a book! He asked me to give him a particular title that I really wanted to have. So I told him that The Revelation by Bentley Little was so hard to find over here. He said that he’ll try and order it on Barnes and Noble! Wow. One of the many bookstores that I want to visit is Barnes and Noble. Just thinking about this book coming from B&N gives me the chills. Hehehe. After a few weeks, the book arrived. I was so excited to read it! 

The Revelation was everything that I’ve expected in a first novel. It was hair-raising and deliciously scary. It was like watching a 1990’s horror film, scratch that, it was like being inside the film as one of the characters. I was literally at the edge of my seat while reading this book. There were moments wherein, I sometimes glance over my shoulder and see if a disfigured baby was crawling on all fours and was about to devour my flesh! When I’m alone, I’m afraid to read it! That’s a bit of a stretch but, hey, the book was really freakin’ horrifying! Go grab it and be scared to death! Wait! I almost forgot, if you click my picture, you'll see a woman on my shirt who seems to be screaming her head off. I just noticed it myself. Scary stuff...

My Rating: 4 Stars




4 comments:

Jennifer | Book Den said...

I love Bentley Little. This was a great read. Have you read The Mailman? It's one of my favorites.

Ruperto Prieto said...

@Jennifer | Book Den: Hi Jen! I've yet to read The Mailman. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try and look it up. I have The Policy on my to be read pile. I hope it's a good read! Thanks for dropping by! =D

Kat said...

The Revelation sounds really intriguing-- a little bit like the Stand by Stephen King (hey, there's a quote by him on the front--cool), but different as well. I also like to read books which have won the Bram Stoker Award-- they tend to be so good! This sounds like an excellent book for the Halloween season. Thanks for the great review. :)

Ruperto Prieto said...

@Kat: The book is really scary and it is indeed perfect for the Halloween season! Read this book when you're all alone and in a dark place. Hehehe. That should give you the goosebumps! Thanks for dropping by Kat! =D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!