Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review: The Associate by John Grisham

SYNOPSIS: 
Kyle McAvoy grew up in his father’s small-town law office in York, Pennsylvania. He excelled in college, was elected editor-in-chief of The Yale Law Journal, and his future has limitless potential. But Kyle has a secret, a dark one, an episode from college that he has tried to forget. The secret, though, falls into the hands of the wrong people, and Kyle is forced to take a job he doesn’t want—even though it’s a job most law students can only dream about. Three months after leaving Yale, Kyle becomes an associate at the largest law firm in the world, where, in addition to practicing law, he is expected to lie, steal, and take part in a scheme that could send him to prison, if not get him killed.
MY REVIEW: 

I've read so many bad reviews of this book. Some of them comparing it to The Firm, that it was a poor follow up and should never have been published. A bit over dramatic don't you think? I, on the other hand, loved The Associate. Who wouldn't? The story, I know, is a bit of a cliche, bad guys, blackmail, international espionage and the works. But this is John Grisham, I must admit that I have read some of his works that really didn't worked for me, but with The Associate, he has proven again that he is a master storyteller. I couldn't put the book down! I was so eagerly anticipating what would happen to Kyle next. 

He's such a wonderful character to read. He's ambitious, he's smart and confident. One thing I also liked about the book is how John conveyed to me what's really going on in the world of corporate lawyers. I mean the salary they receive alone is outrageous! They bill a couple of hundred dollars per hour? That's just crazy! Makes me want to become a lawyer right this moment. Hehehe. Well, I would recommend this book to all of you, seriously, I had a lot of fun reading it. A fast-paced and smart thriller from one of the best in the business!

My Rating: 4 Stars


2 comments:

La Toya said...

Ahhh this sounds like a winner. I haven't read a fast paced thriller in a while and I like other books by Grisham anyway!!

xo,
La Toya (La Toya, Literally.)

Ruperto Prieto said...

Hi Lah! You should read this, you'll love it! Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!