Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

SYNOPSIS: 
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.

MY REVIEW:

So very good. The Hunger Games is a pinnacle of awesomeness. I immediately fell in love with Katniss and everybody else. Needless to say that every character is just plain amazing. I can compare this book to numerous films that have the same, I think it's safe to say, plot or story. Some of them are The Gladiator and The Running Man to name a few. Now these films are classic tales of survival and how a human being is tested when it comes to strength, endurance and courage. There's a lot of action and gore but that's to be expected with these films. When it comes to originality, I think Ms. Collins has hit the right mark. The city of Panem, the Districts, the Tributes and all of the unusual names and places she created has all the ingredients of an original and enduring novel that is bound to be a classic read in the years to come.

That being said, The Hunger Games is a fast-paced, beautifully written young adult novel that even the not so young will enjoy. Now it's my duty to spread the delight I had in reading this book and in the process will influence other people to read it. I'm now eagerly awaiting for the chance to get a copy of the two remaining books in the trilogy. I hope to get them before my birthday, or even better, I'll put it on my birthday wish list! Yep, I think, that's what I'm going to do!


My Rating: 4 ½ Stars


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!