Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review: The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

SYNOPSIS:  
When he falls ill on his way home from school, fifteen-year-old Michael Berg is rescued by Hanna, a woman twice his age. In time she becomes his lover—then she inexplicably disappears. When Michael next sees her, he is a young law student, and she is on trial for a hideous crime. As he watches her refuse to defend her innocence, Michael gradually realizes that Hanna may be guarding a secret she considers more shameful than murder.



MY REVIEW:

This book was an accident. I had no plan to read it, never heard of it and no idea what it was about. Well, come to think of it, I know something about it actually. I knew for a fact that it was a movie that starred Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes and that it was critically acclaimed and won numerous recognitions and awards from different award giving bodies. These accomplishments of the novel piqued my interest, so when I saw a copy of The Reader I had this urge to read the book and find out for myself why The Reader has become a national bestseller and one of the most talked about books of all time...

 

I'm a voracious reader, I want to try books that I don't normally read but sometimes, it's not easy getting out of your usual comfort zone since I tend to get bored. The Reader was a good read. I can give it that, maybe it really has this depth and meaning into it... It's just that, it didn't really gave me any special thing about it. When I was half way reading it, I can portend that I wasn't going to like the rest of it. I did managed to finish the book, sadly, without any enthusiasm on my part. I like to be entertained, that's the main reason I read. Alas, The Reader didn't live up to my expectations, maybe I don't dig these kind of books (historical, biographies, inspirational and self-help books). I often opted for fiction and books with fast paced theme into them. If you like a thought-provoking novel, then The Reader is perfect for you. It didn't stir any feelings from me though...



My Rating: 3 ½ Stars



 


1 comment:

La Toya said...

Yeah I'm not into those kinds of reads either. That's too bad because it seems like an amazing premise!

xo,
La Toya (La Toya, Literally)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!