Monday, January 30, 2012

In My Mailbox #45: James or John?


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by  The Story Siren.


James Patterson
The Postcard Killers
Private

John Grisham
The Appeal
The Associate

Which of these two is better? That is a tough question. I've been reading these two remarkable authors these days. I can honestly say that I'm addicted to them both! But I think I like James Patterson more since I'm totally into crime/mystery novels, on the other hand, John Grisham is really wonderful when it comes to twist and turns and courtroom drama. I love them both!

3 comments:

La Toya said...

Oh they are both great! But I must admit, I've read only one or two John Grisham books! I need to make more of an effort to read some of his stuff :)

Ruperto Prieto said...

Hi Lah! I agree! They really are amazing authors. But is it safe to say that we like James better? Hahaha. Since we've reader a lot of his books. :-)

Eesti said...

I haven't read a great book by Grisham in over ten years, but I haven't read a truly awful one either. Almost all of his books are readable and entertaining, and THE APPEAL is no exception.
This novel is more a political thriller than a legal one, and Grisham spends a lot of time explaining how political candidates are recruited and funded. He obviously has an agenda here, which is that right-wing, pro-business interest groups are trying to purchase State supreme Court seats. If you are sympathetic with Grisham's political views, you will find much in this book to agree with. If you vote conservative, however, you will no doubt find his approach heavy-handed.

The greatest weakness of this novel is the characterization. Nearly all the characters in THE APPEAL are either cardboard "good guys" or "bad guys," but that is true with most of Grisham's work (and I suspect it is the reason for much of his success). But I do give Grisham credit for a highly unpredictable ending, one that took me completely by surprise.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!