Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review: Furies Of Calderon by Jim Butcher

SYNOPSIS:
For a thousand years, the people of Alera have united against the aggressive and threatening races that inhabit the world, using their unique bond with the furies - elementals of earth, air, fire, water, and metal. But now, Gaius Sextus, First Lord of Alera, grows old and lacks an heir. Ambitious High Lords plot and maneuver to place their Houses in positions of power, and a war of succession looms on the horizon. Far from city politics in the Calderon Valley, the boy Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. At fifteen, he has no wind fury to help him fly, no fire fury to light his lamps. Yet as the Alerans' most savage enemy - the Marat - return to the Valley, he will discover that his destiny is much greater than he could ever imagine. 
 
MY REVIEW: 

I wanted to like this book sooo bad... I rarely read fantasy books right nowadays because I haven't found any story that is worth my time.

Here are the list of fantasy books that I've read and enjoyed:

1. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. Shannara Series by Terry Brooks
3. The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind
4. A Song of Ice and Fire by G.R.R. Martin

All of the above series of books are exceptional. The authors created a world of adventure, excitement, wonderful characters and strong story-lines. That wasn't the case with Furies of Calderon, I decided to give Jim Butcher a try because I was missing the world of fantasy. The decision was cemented by way of reading spoiler free reviews from other bloggers who have read the book and Amazon also did help a bit. Well, my fault. I should've read the bad reviews too...

Actually, Furies of Calderon isn't that a bad a book. I just don't like the whole concept of the plot. It started out okay but after a hundred pages it got boring. I find the characters a bit annoying and I just wasn't enjoying the story and I can portend that I won't like it. Do you know any amazing fantasy books out there? I'm open to recommendations...

My Rating: 3 ½ Stars

2 comments:

Armand Sedai said...

You know, I tried my shot at Jim Butchner w/ THE DRESDEN FILES, and I think we can agree to the same opinion: it's not that bad, but no so remarkable. I read the first book only and have no intention of carrying on w/ the series. But anyway...

Hands down on you Rupert. As a fan of Fantasy, I think you nailed down a remarkable list of Fantasy Series. I have them on my personal list as well. Now since you're open to recommendations, here are some you'd get fascinated as well. You might think otherwise, but I'm recommending them anyway:

DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN
by Anne McCaffrey
THE RIFTWAR SAGA
by Raymond E. Feist
MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN
by Tad Williams
TALES OF ALVIN MAKER
by Orson Scott Card
THE DARK TOWER
by Stephen King (his remarkable shot at Fantasy & at the same time, his magnum opus)
THE WHEEL OF TIME
by Robert Jordan (I'm surprised you don't have this on your list, this is 1 of the finest in the genre)

Ruperto Prieto said...

These are great! I'm craving for fantasy right now. I'm still waiting for the paperback edition of A Dance With Dragons, I think it will come out probably by January. I hope.Actually, I've read THE EYE OF THE WORLD, the first book from Jordan, but I really didn't liked it...Maybe I'll skip some of the books and get to the good ones the fans really enjoyed reading... Someday, I guess... =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!