Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Review: A Risk Worth Taking by Robin Pilcher

SYNOPSIS:   
Dan Porter had it all: a big house in suburban London, a beautiful wife, three children in private school, and a high-paying job. But then, it all collapsed like a house of cards. Now Dan stays home while his angry wife pursues a career, and his marriage falters. Returning to his old profession could mend the rift, but Dan needs to do something else, something more... Then, Dan hears about a company for sale in northern Scotland, and the temptation is too great to resist. With his son Josh and two dogs in tow, he lands in a primitive cottage above a frigid loch. As he takes stock of his past, he discovers a community who desperately needs his help, a new chance for the future, a risk that requires a leap of faith...and an astonishing love.
MY REVIEW:   

Like the title, I took a risk when I bought this book. I haven't read any of Robin Pilcher's novels but the one thing that made me finally pick this book up is the story. A story about marriage and hope. I'm not foreign with this type of storyline but this is from the point of view of the male character and it's unusual for me. Somehow, I can relate to Dan. The story is about his failing marriage and the difficulties of not having work to support his family. 

The book started really strong, I find myself racing through the pages.I was constantly annoyed with Dan's wife,instead of giving support, she ridicules him and that started to gain root and eventually they grow apart. But what a convenient excuse for his wife to have a co-worker who has the hots for her. Another strain to their rocky marriage. The ending was okay, although I wanted Dan and his wife to reconcile. A Risk Worth Taking is a superb read and I will be on the lookout for Pilcher's other novels.
 
My Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!