Saturday, May 14, 2011

Review: Sleeping Beauty by Phillip Margolin

SYNOPSIS:  

Miles Van Meter is on a book tour to promote his sensational bestseller Sleeping Beauty, a true-crime account of the attack by a serial killer that left his twin sister, Casey, in a coma. Tonight the audience waits to hear Miles discuss the startling developments that occurred after his book was published, which involve Ashley Spencer, the only other person who survived an attack by this merciless killer. Six years earlier, life was much simpler for seventeen-year-old Ashley, a popular high school soccer star. Then one night an intruder entered Ashley's home and murdered her father and her best friend. A scholarship to the Oregon Academy, an elite private school with a top-notch soccer program, temporarily provides solace -- but tragedy strikes again and Ashley has to run for her life, unaware that the key to her survival is in the one book she's afraid to read -- Sleeping Beauty.

MY REVIEW:  

What a great read! I've forgotten how an amazing writer Phillip is! The last book I've read from him was a year ago, The Associate. It was also a superb book, but it pales in comparison with Sleeping Beauty. Wow. That's all I can say. Margolin captured my attention on the very first page. The murder that occurred on the first chapter was so vividly described by the author. You can literally feel that you're inside the house where the killer started on his killing spree and you're just watching it all happen in a very close range. 

Honestly, it scared the crap out of me. I envisioned myself being in that situation, and I just can't seem to fathom what I'll do if I were on Ashley Spencer's shoes. Her father and best friend was murdered and she witnessed all of this...Who do you turn to? Family? Friends? The police? In Ashley's case, the latter was her best option, but after the killer managed to murder her protectors, she went on the run to save her own dear life...

I highly recommend that you read Sleeping Beauty, if you haven't read any suspense novel before, this is the perfect book for you to start with. It will keep you guessing right up until the final page and you may have a hard time figuring out who the real culprit is...From the disturbing opening scene until the shocking ending you will be held captivated by this master storyteller! Read it now!

My Rating: 4 ½ Stars





2 comments:

Lazy Girl said...

WHOA!!! Amazing read! I will take a look at this one...I'm at the library right now and it seems like they've closed off the entire area that has murder mysteries. I might have to buy this one!

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Lazy Girl: Hi Lah! Thanks for dropping by! It's a great read, you should definitely get this one! Take care! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!