Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Review: Lost by Joy Fielding

SYNOPSIS: 
Losing Julia has become a constant in Cindy Carver’s life. The first time Julia disappeared, she was five years old and vanished at the playground. That inspired motherly paranoia. The second was when, at age fourteen, Julia decided to move in with her father. That broke Cindy’s heart. But when twenty-one-year-old Julia disappears without a trace after a promising audition with one of Hollywood’s most powerful and influential directors, Cindy begins a frantic search. Secrets are revealed, lives are forever altered, and Cindy is forced to acknowledge the disturbing truth about the young woman she realizes she never really knew....
MY REVIEW:

I have mixed feelings with Lost, Joy definitely is a writer that can deliver all the action, drama, suspense and thrill in each of her books but with this one, I have some problems with the ending...

When Cindy's daughter Julia, disappeared, she wasn't jumping up and down with concern. You see, Julia had done this disappearing act before and it always turned out that she's off somewhere with her boyfriend or she needed to be with herself for a length of time or sometimes she does this out of whim. As a mother, you can never be sure if your children are safe all the time, you carry that weight forever in your heart. Cindy decided to inform the police when Julia failed to answer all of her messages in a vain attempt to contact her. It turned out that involving the police wasn't enough for her, she embarked on her own personal investigation by going to places that Julia frequented. I can't blame Cindy, I might do the same to find my child...

I find myself totally glued to this book, I wanted to know what really happened to Julia. Where is she? Is this some kind of joke to piss off her mom? Another one of her mood swings? Is this her way of punishing her mother because she's always getting in her way? Julia was really getting into my nerves, does she not know that this is what mothers do? They nag, get in your way and forever will be on the lookout for her children...It's their natural instinct...

The answer to all these questions came as a big surprise to me: Julia have gone in hiding deliberately. What the heck right? It turned out that she was an aspiring actress and wanted to get publicity. What better way than to disappear... Never mind that her mother is worried sick about her and would move heaven and earth to see that she was safe and sound. I was taken aback with the ending. I wasn't quite sure about how the book ended. It could've been better, I think, if Joy gave a twist that her readers aren't really expecting. Nevertheless, the book is a great read with characters that are engaging and credible. 

My Rating: 3 ½ Stars







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!