Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review: Along For The Ride by Sarah Dessen

SYNOPSIS: 
It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live. A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.
MY REVIEW:

Again, I would like to say thanks to my beautiful cousin, Karen, for giving me this book as a gift for my birthday which by the way is just around the corner. Excited about that, nothing major will happen, just a small celebration with my family and friends. Simple and cozy, the way I like it to be...

It's a bit difficult for me to review a young adult book, not because I can't relate to them, believe me, I've been there. But because it's very different from what I usually read. This time around, it's going to be a walk in the park. I hope so. Along For The Ride is written in a way that I can understand where the author is coming from. What she wants to convey to her readers: love, understanding and being different in a positive way. This book is a story of two young people who found each other for all the right reasons. Auden and Eli are the perfect example that you can find love in the most unexpected and bizarre way. When Auden joined her father and his wife for a summer vacation in their beach house, she wasn't expecting much will happen with this "get-together." She ended up baby sitting her step sister, working for her father's wife and earning a few "girlfriends." Auden, I think is a loner. I can relate to her because during my high school days, I also wanted to be left alone most of the time, usually I have my books to keep me company. It's not that I don't want to interact with other people, it's just that I really feel comfortable being alone. But that's not the case today, I learned to blend with people now. LoL.

What I find unique in this book is when Eli and Auden go out and do simple things together in the dead of night. Since they are both somewhat "insomniac" they immediately connected with each other. They go off and play bowling, rummaged through a convenience store and just simply talk and have a quiet time. Along for the Ride is a refreshing read for me. So many memories from my younger days came flooding in while I was reading this book. I love to reminisce those days again and again...And Sarah Dessen helped me to recall them...

My Rating: 4 ½ Stars




4 comments:

Al said...

Glad you liked it! Sarah Dessen is by far my favorite author! And this is one of her best. (Right behind Truth About Forever!)

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Al: Thanks Al! I really enjoyed the book. Hope I can find a copy of Truth About Forever. Wish me luck!

Lazy Girl said...

Aww this sounds like a really cute book! I know what you mean about it being hard to review books outside your normal genre!

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Lazy Girl: Yeah, it's a bit hard. I hope you can read Along For The Ride.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!