Thursday, January 13, 2011

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Refreshing. Unique. Fun.

City of Bones are all these and more. I've never been a fan of vampires, werewolves, faeries and other weird creations, but I do know that they're very popular to YA readers these days. I must admit that as a reader, I'm curious as to what other book lovers like me out there are currently reading. That's why I created this book blog, to interact with other book bloggers and know what the latest books are in circulation. Again, I'd like to thank Raila over at BooksOutOfTheBookshelves for giving me some idea with reference to this book. Not often do I read YA, it's not that I don't like it, coz I do. But they're not that available on the bookstores that I frequent to. Whenever I'd like to check out what the "teens" are reading these days, I just go to Raila's blog and browse for some really cool titles. The title of the book, City of Bones, is very mysterious and unique. The first thought that entered my mind was, like, the characters are going to this vast and creepy citadel with graveyards and tombs to battle out an army of the undead or something. In the end, that wasn't the case. 

The story are all about the "Shadowhunters". They're a group of individuals who are devoted on destroying and eliminating all kinds of demons here on Earth. Yeah, apparently, they walk among us. Really cool stuff, right? Anyways, the book is stimulating from the start, I can't take my eyes off the pages. The plot is interesting, nothing I've read before. Jace and Clary makes me laugh whenever they're engaged into one of their "witty conversations". Sometimes, Jace can be so annoying and Clary is there to straighten him out. Clary is lovable, strong-willed and smart. My favorite part in the book was the fight between the vamps and the werewolves. For me, it's one of the best executed scenes and it would really look good on the big screen. All in all, City of Bones is a seamless, razor-sharp novel that has a heart-stopping action and well-realized characters...Highly recommended...

My Rating: 5 Stars

8 comments:

Rane said...

I finally got mine in the mail! I'm in the middle of reading Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly, but after I finish it, I'm going to jump right into City of Bones!! I'm so excited!

5 stars, huh? That makes me even more excited. It's that good, huh?
-Rane

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Rane: Hi! I'm so happy you have City of Bones! It's really good that's why I gave it a five stars rating. Anyways, I can't wait for your review on it Rane! Happy reading! :-)

Rane said...

I'm finally reading City of Bones now! I read Clockwork Angel first (the prequel) so it is interesting starting with the true first book of the series. I feel like I know more about the world than I should! lol

I hope you read Clockwork Angel too, that is, after you finish the Mortal instruments series :-)

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@RANE: wow! good for you! I'm still saving money to buy City of Ashes. Lol. I have to finish the entire series I guess before I read Clockwork! Thanks doe stopping by! Take care! :-)

ashley said...

hi i'm curently reading the and it was fantastic!!! thank you for your review about this book, this makes me excited to read this....

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@ashley: thanks! i'm glad you like my review! I hope you will also love the book! :-)

Armand Sedai said...

I've read Stephen King's "'Salem's Lot", Anne Rice's "Interview With The Vampire" & George R.R. Martin's "Fevre Dream" when I was young - the only vampire novels I've ever read. With the explosion of vampire novels nowadays, I simply refuse to read another, thinking that the genre has been cliched. But thanks to this book review, maybe it'll be worth a try reading another one...

Ruperto Prieto said...

@ARMAND: it's really good! haven't read book four yet!:-(

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!