Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

SYNOPSIS:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect. 

MY REVIEW: 
First of all, I do not like a certain book if it's being narrated by the characters themselves. I really don't know why, but I prefer the author do the storytelling and not from the view of the characters in the book. 

But I will make an exception in Hex Hall. This book attracted my attention when I first saw it from a fellow book blogger. I was intrigued at once when I read the story. Being a huge fan of Harry Potter, I was looking for a series that will somewhat bring me back to Hogwarts. After the last book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I thought of other possibilities for the continuity of the saga. I even imagined that Harry's children will have their own story and adventure at Hogwarts. Well, that's wishful thinking on my part. But J.K. Rowling did said, that she may come back and write more stories regarding Harry's world.

I had a lot of fun reading Hex Hall. I really did. It was a quick one but all the things that I was looking for in a book was present here. I remember laughing at Sophie's humor. She really is funny. Well, I think that Rachel Hawkins is the one responsible for that. Hehehe. I love the entire plot and that there are so many questions that popped into my head only adds more flavor to the story. It only means that I'm really enjoying the book. Demonglass is the second installment and set to be released next year. I really need to save money for me to be able to buy it. To wrap it all up, Hex Hall is superb!!! Cheerz!
My Rating: 5 Stars





4 comments:

Nina B. said...

Nice review! So you're definitely reading the whole series huh :D Glad you liked the book, might check it out myself too.

Brush Up On Your Reading

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@NINA: Hi! Thanks. It's really a fun read. I hope you can get a copy soon! :-)

Nina B. said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, glad you liked the review for Delirium. You know I've been seeing a lot of Before I Fall in bookstores, you should go grab a copy yourself already :D

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Nina: You're welcome!!! I'll look into it hehehe. Need to check my budget first. Hehehe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!