Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Review: Resistance by Anita Shreve

Anita Shreve (born 1946) is an award winning American writer. The daughter of an airline pilot and a homemaker, she graduated from Dedham High School, attended Tufts University and began writing while working as a high school teacher. One of her first published stories, Past the Island, Drifting, (published in 1975) was awarded an O. Henry Prize in 1976. 

"The wife of a Resistance worker in Nazi-occupied Belgium falls in love with a wounded American pilot, forcing her to struggle with trust and betrayal." 


MY REVIEW:

This is the first time that I've read a book from her and I had mixed feelings regarding Resistance...
 
The thing that attracted me most when I saw this book was the cover. I think it's just lovely. The story reminded me of a movie I've seen many years ago entitled In Love and War starring Sandra Bullock and Chris O' Donnell. I really liked that film. It's one of my all time favorite movie. 

Resistance was a quick and entertaining read. The characters are engaging enough to keep me interested. It's a tragic love story that left me thinking that each of us should cherish our loved ones and tell them how we feel about them everyday. Anita also gives detailed descriptions of what's going on in a war infested village. It's really terrifying to know how human beings will go to acquire power and supremacy. I hate war! The ruthless fighting over something that can be shared, the carnage, and the innocent people who are victims of this unfortunate event. The book was also made into a movie. To wrap it all up, it was an okay book, good enough to be acceptable, but I wanted more from it in the end...

Resistance is a war movie released in 2003. It was written by Todd Komarnicki and Anita Shreve, stars Bill Paxton, Julia Ormond, Philippe Volter, Sandrine Bonnaire, and Victor Reinier, and was directed by Todd Komarnicki. 

Resistance, with a 16 million euro budget, was the most expensive Dutch production ever. Its theatrical run lasted for just one week.



 



My Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!