Sunday, December 19, 2010

Book of Problems


Do you have the same problem when it comes to sustaining the quality of your books? When I started reading, I never really had a bookshelf, or someplace that I can stash my books away. As far as I can remember, I just placed my books inside my cabinet or just put them away under drawers. I must confess that when I was in college, I didn't take care of my books very well...After reading them, I just threw them inside a plastic bag and took them down to the basement for storage. I was living with my relatives before so an extra room was out of the question. I never had the chance to put my books up for display and for others to see them.


Up to now, I still don't have a bookshelf. :-( All of my books are inside my cabinet. I took away some of my clothes and put my books on the second shelf. A few days ago, I noticed that some of my books are having these yellowish marks inside the pages...I wanted to preserve the quality of all my books so I decided to zip them up inside this plastic container hoping that it will at least lessen the marks even if it doesn't stop them completely...

How about you? Do you have any tips on how to preserve the quality, appearance and value of your books? I would really appreciate it! :-)


7 comments:

Lisanna Saunders said...

A bookshelf is a must! It keeps the books in good shape because there's less chance of them getting damaged and plus, it feels great just looking at all the beautiful books!

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Lisanna: Hi! I know!!! Thanks for the suggestion, but for now these plastic containers will have to do, but I'm going to work hard to get a bookshelf of my own someday! :-)

Ivan Bookworm said...

Hi, the yellowish color on the page is a result of containing the books in a close area like the cabinet. I don't think if the ziplocks will prevent it because it is also close. The book should be stored in a dry and open area.

I also do not have bookshelf. I just pile them up like a tower and place it on my study tables. They look nice and don't take a lot of space.

Ivan Bookworm said...

also to preserve the cover, I suggest you to cover them up with plastic cover so that the covers will be damaged. I always do it on all of my books.

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Ivan Bookworm: Hi Ivan! Is that so? Hmmm...cool and dry place...I think I'll try that suggestion...Thanks so much!!! :-)

Lynossa (Deranged Book Lovers) said...

Hi Ruperto, Ivan is right. You should cover your books with plastic. I did that all the time. After I bought the book I would cover it with plastic even before I read it.
Some of the papers are yellow-ish no matter how you treat them, but that's depend on the paper quality. Usually the mass paperback :D
The most important is either you put it in closed or open area, you must clean it once a while.
Hope it helps ^^

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Lynossa: Hi! Thanks so much. I will cover them immediately. Although some of my books have plastic cover already.Yeah, the ppb are really the ones who have the yellowish marks. Thanks!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!