Saturday, November 27, 2010

Review: Under The Dome by Stephen King

SYNOPSIS:
On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester's Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener's hand is severed as "the dome" comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when -- or if -- it will go away.Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens -- town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician's assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing -- even murder -- to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn't just short. It's running out.

MY REVIEW:

First of all, this review will be short. I just like to say a few things regarding this remarkable book. I never intended to read a Stephen King novel, I really don't know why. He is one of the most active writers around, numerous of his books have been made into movies and up to now, he remains on the bestsellers list of successful authors. 

When I saw Under The Dome, I was reluctant to buy it. The length of the book alone is almost telling me to forget it and get something else to read. But the minute I've read the story of the book, I immediately wanted to take it home. 

I think it took me three weeks to finish this book. The huge cast of characters are really amazing, I reckon that there were like, 50 of them. Stephen King's ability to navigate to each characters story is really brilliant! I don't know how he did it, but it really is something. I hope this book will be made into a movie. Get a copy now and you'll see for yourself why this book is unputdownable! Cheerz!

My Rating: 5 Stars

10 comments:

Nina B. said...

Interesting. I might just pick this one up next.

By the way, I gave you the Versatile Blogger Award! Check it out here: http://buoyreading.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-first-ever-award-versatile-blogger.html

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

Hi! You should Nina, the book is really great! Thanks for the award! GOD bless!

Lah said...

Hey Ruperto!

I'm intrigued! Although I gotta tell ya, I'm not too keen on reading a Stephen King book after my DAD said he was afraid to turn the lights out after he read Pet Cemetery. Aaah! Haha, I'm your newest follower! Love your blog. Will check back often!

xo,
LazyGirl

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Lah: That's really funny! Lol. The book isn't at all like Pet Cemetery. It's really different and so much better! Thanks for dropping by! Say Hi to your Dad from me. Thanks again Lah!

darchwonders said...

So dumb of me. Too late for me to know that you've actually read and liked the book. Hope that's the case with me too Ruperto.

Happy reading! :)

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@darchwonders: hi! Thanks for dropping by! Under the Dome is soooo gooood!!! Will wait for your review!!!

cj'alhafiz said...

Thanks for the review Rupert
I also have this book but haven't got a chance to read it yet. maybe because of the thickness..haha!! well....will read it when the time comes..^^

am a new follower

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@cj'alhafiz:
hi! thanks for following my blog. I also followed yours. That's the main reason before that I was reluctant to buy Under the Dome. It was so thick! But I'm so glad I did buy it because the book is just fantastic! It's like reading a soap opera or something. Thanks for dropping by! I appreciate it! :-)

Armand Sedai said...

When I saw this book last year at my local bookstore, I said to myself "graduate na ko sa mga Stephen King since 2008". But you know what, since you intrigued me w/ this book review, I'll make this book the last one I'll ever read from him, beside his new DARK TOWER novel.

But hey, is this your first shot at his works? Wow! You are right on one aspect Rupert, King's books are sometimes intimidating because of the size alone. He never fails to intimidate & amaze me at the same time.

Ruperto Prieto said...

@ARMAND: Would want to hear your opinion on this one! grab a copy now! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!