Sunday, November 7, 2010

Review: Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler


SYNOPSIS:
Breathing Lessons is the wonderfully moving and surprising story of Ira and Maggie Moran. She's impetuous, harum-scarum, easy-going; he's competent, patient, seemingly infallible. They've been married for 28 years. Now, as they drive from their home in Baltimore to the funeral of Maggie's best friend's husband, Anne Tyler shows us all there is to know about a marriage - the expectations, the disappointments, the way children can create storms in a family, the way a wife and husband can fall in love all over again, the way nothing really changes.

MY REVIEW:

This novel won the Pulitzer Prize in 1988. That is the main reason I've purchased this book. When Pulitzer winners are concerned, they must have a certain quality that made them stand out among the others who are nominated for a certain category. At least that's my view of it. 

Having said that, it seems that I've made a terrible mistake...I shouldn't have just relied on the book being a Pulitzer winner but I should have dug deeper into the background and premise of the book.

I find the book boring and dull. I know, you think I'm just being mean. But that's what it felt like while I was reading the book. There wasn't any interesting moment in it to make me want to sugarcoat this review. Maggie was so annoying. I think her character was the one who shot down this book into flames and blew it to oblivion... I just don't get her! 

Anyways, I'm now on guard when it comes to books that have won awards and other recognitions. I should find out something about these books and then decide later if I'm going to go for it or not. 
 
My Rating: 2 stars


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!