Saturday, November 20, 2010

♠Author Interview #1: Erica Spindler♠

First of all, I would like to thank the wonderful Ms. Erica Spindler for granting me this interview. My very first Erica novel was In Silence. This was a brilliant read and this was the book that introduced me to her.

Having read so many books in the past, I dreamt that when the time comes, I would like to meet some of the authors I really like in person. How great it would be to talk to them regarding their books and upcoming releases and basically know them. 

Thanks to our ever changing technology, I can now "get in touch" with them through interviews and emails. So here it is, my very first author interview. This is huge for me. I'm very, very happy! :-)


 ♠Author Interview #1: Erica Spindler♠

1.Hi Erica! Can you tell something about yourself?

I lead a typical soccer mom life, but my brain manages to twist even the most innocent things into dangerous, worst-case scenarios. Something in my own make-up prompts me to think scary thoughts.  I used to worry about this, but I've come to realize it's a muse of sorts. I call it my 'Dark Gift'.

2.When and why did you begin writing?

I was an artist, not a writer -- at the University of New Orleans I earned an MFA in painting and had started teaching at a local college.
One day, suffering with a bad cold, I went to the local K&B drugstore for some medicine.  And the cashier dropped a free Nora Roberts romance into my bag.  When I got home there was nothing worth watching on TV, and I had nothing else to do, so I began reading it.
I'd never read romance, and I was hooked!  I read every romance I could get my hands on, in a kind of romance reading frenzy.  It wasn't long before I decided to leave paints and brushes behind and try my hand at writing romances. 

3.When did you first consider yourself a writer?

From the first time I put pen to paper with the aim of writing a novel, I knew I had found my true calling. I was determined to be a published author.

4.What inspired you to write your first book?

My ideas are always from personal experiences. For example, the idea for BONE COLD was sparked by a fan letter from a child; DEAD RUN by a sermon at church; and my current work in progress, WATCH ME DIE, by an article on glass restoration in New Orleans.

5.Do you have a specific writing style?

I do most of my writing  at my local coffeehouse. It sounds crazy, but I find it easier to focus there than at home -- where there are other, more powerful distractions. The coffee’s better too!
It takes me a full year -- from concept to completion -- to write my novels. The work begins slowly and builds up speed, until I’m literally racing towards the dramatic conclusion, keyboard smoking.

6.What books have influenced your life most?

My writing has been influenced by a number of authors and genres.  Gothic: Phyllis Whitney and Mary Steward, Glitz: Judith Krantz and Sidney Sheldon, Horror: Peter Straub and Stephen King, and Romance: Nora Roberts and Sandra Brown.

7.If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Luckily, I don't have to choose-- I would give them all equal billing!

8.What are your current projects? Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Right now I'm finishing up WATCH ME DIE, which is scheduled to release in June 2011.  New Orleans stained glass expert Mira Gallier is on the verge of having it all–again. But her perfect life, like the magnificent windows blown to bits by Hurricane Katrina, is about to be shattered. This time it’s not a killer storm she faces, but a psychopath who will stop at nothing until he possesses her, body and soul.

9.Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

If I'm setting a book in a city I don't know much about, I'll definitely travel for research. There's no better way to get the details that bring a place to life than to experience it first hand.

10.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
A huge "thank you!"  

4 comments:

mel u said...

thanks for sharing this very interesting interview

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Mel U: Thanks for dropping by! I'm happy you like the interview!

Natalie W said...

I enjoyed reading your interview and going to check out this author and her books! Sounds like my type of reading.
Natalie :0)

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@NATALIE W: hi! erica is really a great writer! you should definitely try her books. thanks for dropping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!