Sunday, October 17, 2010

Review: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan


SYNOPSIS:

Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane. One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives. Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the Pharaohs.

MY REVIEW:

I've seen the movie adaptation of Rick Riordan's first Percy Jackson book and I think the film was just great. It reminded me of Harry Potter in some way.  I learned that the movie was based on these series of books for children and apparently adults also patronize them. During that time I was a bit skeptical if I wanted to read The Lightning Thief because it was a series after all. And in my experience, if it's a series I guess you have to buy all of them. In the end, I decided not to get the book. I wanted to learn more about it, read reviews (without spoilers) from other bloggers as well. Then, The Red Pyramid came along. It was a brand new series from the same author of the Percy Jackson Series, so it got me thinking, why not just read this? If I like it, then I'll get the next one...The only problem is I didn't.

Okay, first I want to thank again my friend for giving this book to me. Don't feel bad that I didn't like it. Lol. The story started strong and interesting for me. I just love Ancient Egypt, everything about it, their culture, the people, the history, the country itself. Rick's main characters are Sadie and Carter. The thing that made it hard for me to  read the book was that the story-telling is narrated by Sadie and Carter. I was confused most of the time, even though their names are on every chapter of every page. I don't like this kind or writing. I want the story to be told by the author. I prefer it that way. Carter's  character is likable, he seems like a nice kid. Sadie's just awful. Whenever I'm reading her part, I just want to skip it entirely!

I gave the book 3 ½ Stars: Could've Been Better. In terms of the plot, the story was really okay. But it didn't impressed me towards the middle and end. :-(

My Rating: 3 ½ Stars

4 comments:

glentot said...

I rarely encounter a book I don't like (because I listen to people and usually like what they liked too) but when I do, it's too devastating I almost want to burn it.

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@GLENTOT: Hi Glenn! In my case, I sometimes stumble upon books that are great with beginnings but have miserably poor endings...The Red Pyramid is one of them. :-(

Rita Renne said...

This isn't fair. I read the Percy Jackson series, and I loved them. My friend, who loved the Percy Jackson series along with me, read the Red Pyramid and didn't like it as much as Rick Roidan's first series.

And just to let you know, if you would've read the book THEN watched the movie, you would have hated the movie. D:

~Brianna

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Brianna: Hi! I really don't know what went wrong with this book, but I really thought it wasn't that good. :-(

Thanks for dropping by! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!