Friday, October 8, 2010

Review: Gone by Michael Grant

 SYNOPSIS:
GONE...Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened. Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day. It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

MY REVIEW:

I don't watch Lost, but I've seen all the X-men movies and two seasons of Heroes. What do these three things have in common? Gone by Michael Grant. After reading the synopsis of Gone, I knew in that moment that I have to acquire the book. There's not a single doubt on my mind that I will be disappointed with the book later on  after I've read it. That is how strongly I felt for the book. I don't know, it's like a feeling I've experienced after reading the first book on the Harry Potter Series. A gut feeling that I will love this book. And I did.

I must applaude Michael Grant in this book. All the elements of what to be deserved in an absorbing read is present in Gone. The story of Gone for others would seem like ordinary because of the powers that the kids have and the usual good versus evil plot. But believe me when I say that it's not like your average heroes vs. villains crap. Lol. This is much more entertaining and mysterious...

The story revolves around the town of Perdido Beach, California. Pandemonium erupted after all the adults disappeared into thin air. No one knows what has happened and why. Kids started to panic without their parents to calm them. Bullies are emerging like mushrooms everywhere and those who are weak are left to fend for themselves. When this kind of situation arises, there is only one thing for you to think about: Survival.The town is sealed off by an invisible barrier that prevents people from leaving the area. So many questions entered my mind after reading this, what if the food supply of the town is not enough to feed all the kids? What will happen to them? What about all the adults? Where are they? And the most important question of all...why are the kids mutating and having inexplicable and deadly powers?

Essential to the story are the lead characters, Sam and Astrid. Sam is like the hero type kind of guy who would do anything to make things right. He is strong both in mind and body. He can shoot deadly heated light from his palms and killing anything it touches. Sam and Astrid are my favorite characters in this book. Well, if there are good guys, the bad ones are just around the corner. Caine and Diana are the villains in this story. Caine is this manipulative type of person that in order to survive he will do things that are crazy and horrible. Cementing the hands of the kids who have powers so they can't use it against him? How cruel is he? He's a psycho...Diana is not far behind. She has the ability to read the strength of an individuals powers. But she's a bitch and I hate her. Lol. I won't mention all the characters and their respective powers coz this post will be longer than I want it to be.

The bottom line is, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I was totally blown away. And I suggest that whoever is reading this post should go out and buy the book. I'm now patiently waiting for the next book entitled HUNGER. It's already out in the market,  and thank goodness it's on trade paperback. Cheaper! But I'm still saving money to buy it. I hope I can accomplish this! Cheerz!


My Rating: 5 stars

4 comments:

macz said...

hey kuya.. :) have u finished reading "the Face" by koontz? what can say about it? i'm still thinking if i'll gonna buy it or not..better wait for your review.. :)

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Macz: hi! no need to wait for my review. the book was a great read. but i suggest you buy PHANTOMS instead by Dean Koontz.

cj'alhafiz said...

wow. this sounds cool!! and the invisible barrier reminds me of Under the Dome. Thanks for such an exciting review Pertz.

Ruperto Prieto said...

@cj'alhafiz: Hi! The book is really awesome! Yeah, it kinda is a bit like Under the Dome, but they're different in so many ways! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!