Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Review: Nightshade by John Saul

 SYNOPSIS:
NIGHTSHADE is the terrifying story of an innocent teenager who must confront the sins of the past-and a corrupting evil that threatens to consume his entire world.... Fifteen-year-old Matthew Moore seems to have it all: a loving mother, Joan; a caring stepfather, Bill, who treats Matt like has own son; residence at a sprawling estate in New Hampshire; and a growing relationship with the most beautiful girl at school. All signs point to a bright future. Until fate intervenes. A sudden fire leaves Matt's ailing grandmother homeless. After moving in with the family, the caustic Emily insists on re-creating the bedroom of her deceased daughter, the favored child who died tragically more than a decade ago. Joan and her older sister had always shared an uneasy bond-and a shameful secret that would forever join them...even from beyond the grave.
MY REVIEW:

Good day to all! It's been a long time since I last read a John Saul book, so when I spotted Nightshade inside my favorite bookstore, I did not hesitate and grabbed the copy of the book and took it home (well, of course, I paid for it first. hehehe).

The very first John Saul book that I have read was Black Creek Crossing. After reading Black Creek Crossing, John Saul became a constant read for me. His books deals with the supernatural beings, ghosts, demons and other unworldly phenomenons. Mainly, his characters are children, maybe because and I am just assuming, that when he was a child, he experienced something out of the ordinary. And from that experience, he gets his ideas for his books.

Nightshade has an auspicious beginning for me. John Saul's characters were interesting enough to make me want to read the book. The story was about a boy named Matthew, who accidentally shot his father while they were hunting in the woods for game. Now this made a real impact on Matthew, but the thing is he doesn't quite remember shooting his father, as if he was possessed and that something was messing with his head. After reading the book, I was chagrined to realize that Nightshade did not met my expectations. For me John Saul was stretching too much on this book. There are so many parts of the book that really is ludicrous. I was surprised I even finished reading this one. It only shows that an author can really write good stories and can really weave a mediocre one. Well, I'm not going to give up on John Saul after this jarring experience on Nightshade. I will decisively look for his older books and maybe these will be a better read than Nightshade. Cheerz!

My Rating: 3 ½ stars


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to come by educated people on this subject, but you seem like you know what you're talking
about! Thanks

Feel free to surf to my web site; Air Max Pas Cher

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!