Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Review: Prior Bad Acts by Tami Hoag

SYNOPSIS:
"When an unknown assailant attacks Judge Moore in a parking garage, two of Minneapolis's top cops are called upon to solve the crime and keep the...more "When an unknown assailant attacks Judge Moore in a parking garage, two of Minneapolis's top cops are called upon to solve the crime and keep the judge from further harm. Detective Sam Kovac is as hard-boiled as they come, and his wisecracking partner, Nikki Liska, isn't far behind. Neither one wants to be on this case, but when Karl Dahl escapes from custody, everything changes, and a seemingly straightforward case cartwheels out of control." "The stakes go even higher when the judge is kidnapped - snatched out of her own bed even as the police sit outside, watching her house. Now Kovac and Liska must navigate through a maze of suspects that includes the stepson of a murder victim, a husband with a secret life, and a rogue cop looking for revenge where the justice system failed." With no time to spare, the detectives are pulled down a strange dark trail of smoke and mirrors, where no one is who they seem and everyone is guilty of Prior Bad Acts.

MY REVIEW:

This is my 4th Tami Hoag book. Again, authors who caught my interest will surely be a favorite of mine. And this book proves to be a great addition to Tami’s works.

For me, this particular book is profoundly disturbing. I’ve read numerous murder stories and I have never encountered a crime this heinous. I was excited to read it. For me an interesting story is what makes a book sell. It’s like a sales pitch, like in some company project presentation or something. You have to make the readers interested in your book.  

This is the 3rd book that features Tami Hoag’s two main characters, Sam Kovac and Nikki Liska. This time around they are investigating a crime that involves a police officer, a suspected murderer and a family.  

A family was brutally murdered. And it is now up to Kovac and Liska to find the killer. It’s a race against time…As I flipped the pages in anticipation of reading the book; I was engrossed by Tami’s ability to take the readers to her fictitious world. I followed Kovac and Liska as they battle their way to investigate a crime that’s so complicated it seems impossible to extricate the true identity of the killer. I really like Sam Kovac’s character; he is such a good, honest and intelligent cop. He is surefooted in all his questions and he makes the suspects cringe in their seats if he was questioning them. A bad ass cop. Hehe.

Nikki, I was surprised, played a minor role in this book. But nevertheless, her character adds up a little spice to the story. I especially like it when she and Sam talks to each other. They’re like this two people who wants to get at each others throat. Don’t get me wrong, they’re partners, but each one has a different take on police matters. I was surprised again on the ending of the book. I never realized that the killer would turn out to be that person…It only shows that we cannot fully comprehend the mind of an evil person. 

To wrap it all up, I was very impressed with Prior Bad Acts, I hope that the next Kovac/Liska adventure would be in the works this coming 2011. I will put a pin on that! Cheerz!

My Rating: 4 stars 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!