Saturday, June 5, 2010

Review:The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

 SYNOPSIS:
There's a little yarn shop on Blossom Street in Seattle. It's owned by Lydia Hoffman, and it represents her dream of a new life free from cancer. A life that offers a chance at love . . . Lydia teaches knitting to beginners, and the first class is "How to Make a Baby Blanket." Three women join. Jacqueline Donovan wants to knit something for her grandchild as a gesture of reconciliation with her daughter-in-law. Carol Girard feels that the baby blanket is a message of hope as she makes a final attempt to conceive. And Alix Townsend is knitting her blanket for a court-ordered community service project. These four very different women, brought together by an age-old craft, make unexpected discoveries -- about themselves and each other. Discoveries that lead to friendship and more.

MY REVIEW:

Book review! I just love doing book reviews! If I had started this blog earlier, let’s say 2000. I would have written a hundred of book reviews with all the books that I’ve read in the past years. It’s a pity I just started this blog last March of this year. Well, you can see on my Shelfari bookshelf that I’ve read over a hundred books and still counting hehehe.

Well, on to my book review. If I started reading a Debbie Macomber book, it’s impossible for me to stop. Her books are so enjoyable, refreshing and warm. I’m accustomed to reading suspense, fantasy, medical thrillers, and detective stories. And again, I’m not so much into the romance genre, only books that have really good stories and not the shallow ones. Hehehe. I tried reading them before, but I had this jarring experience that the stories are like recycled paper, it’s the same plot time and time again!

Having read Debbie Macomber’s entire Cedar Cove Series (Books 1 to 9). I was ready to go visit her Blossom Street Series.  The Shop on Blossom Street is her first offering. It was a blast! I enjoyed this book so much! The characters are all engaging and interesting. I especially like the character of Lydia, the owner of A Good Yarn knitting shop. She has cancer and survived the ordeal. Now she’s ready to go on with her life by opening A Good Yarn. She started a knitting class and there she will meet her dearest of friends. Jacqueline Donovan is one of Lydia’s students; I was sometimes annoyed with her character. She was a bit full of herself, maybe because she’s filthy rich. After her classes, she realized that there’s more to life than expensive clothes, a perfect house and other worldly things. Friends are a lot more valuable than anything she possessed in her life. Carol Girard, she’s another student of Lydia, I felt her sadness of not having the ability to have children. She tried everything to get pregnant but it wasn’t enough. Now her marriage is on the brink of collapse. But miracles do happen and it was given to her in a much unexpected way. I won’t tell you what happened to her, you’ll just have to find out for yourself. Hehehe. Now, Alix Townsend, she is my favorite character of the lot. She’s this pixie girl with a short hair like a punk; imagine Roxette, the one who sung “It Must’ve Been Love”. Anyway, that’s what I think she looks like. Her mother is in prison for an attempted murder case versus her father, she was left alone to fend for herself. She was tough, because you need to be one to survive the streets. But then I can tell that with that hard exterior she longed for love and a different way of life. She also enrolled on Lydia’s class, and there she found people who will become her real friends and will change her life...

I don’t want to divulge the details of the characters because my review would be so long! The series will continue on the second book “A Good Yarn”. I’m excited to read it! I want to know what will happen to their lives. It’s like watching a soap opera. Hehehe. It’s also good to escape into another world, you know, away from the books that I usually read. (Fantasy, Medical Thrillers, Detective Tales)

To wrap it all up, the book was unputdownable. It’s rare for me to give a 5 stars rating, but there it is at the bottom! Needless to say, the book was perfect. Hehehe. Cheerz!        
 

My Rating: 5 stars


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!