Sunday, May 2, 2010

Review: The Book of The Dead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

 SYNOPSIS:      

An FBI agent, rotting away in a high-security prison for a murder he did not commit...His brilliant psychotic brother, about to perpetrate a horrific crime...A young woman with an extraordinary past, on the edge of a violent breakdown...An ancient tomb with an enigmatic curse, about to be unveiled at a celebrity-studded New York gala...The New York Museum of Natural History receives their pilfered gem collection back...ground down to dust. Diogenes, the psychotic killer who stole them in Dance of Death, is throwing down the gauntlet to both the city and to his brother, FBI Agent Pendergast, who is currently incarcerated in a maximum security prison. To quell the PR nightmare of the gem fiasco, the museum decides to reopen the Tomb of Senef. An astounding Egyptian temple, it was a popular museum exhibit until the 1930s, when it was quietly closed. But when the tomb is unsealed in preparation for its gala reopening, the killings--and whispers of an ancient curse--begin again. And the catastrophic opening itself sets the stage for the final battle between the two brothers: an epic clash from which only one will emerge alive.
MY REVIEW:

I think this is the first time that I'm going to post a bad book review on my blog. Well, there's always a first time. Hehehe. But it is not the first that I've encountered books I did not like. Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist did not stir any feeling of excitement on me. The book was a national bestseller and many of my friends told me the book was really something. After reading a few pages, I gave up on it. Paulo's writing style did not catch my interest. Iris Johansen also failed to entice me with her novels (Fatal Tide, The Killing Game). Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World, first on the Wheel of Time Series also had the same fate as The Alchemist. I was aware that the Wheel of Time Series was huge on the fantasy genre. And since I've read the Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Sword of Truth Series, Shannara Series, and The Harry Potter Series, I wanted to embark on another fantasy adventure. But Robert Jordan failed miserably on transporting me on that world of wonders I really like to visit. I'm not saying I'm closing my doors to these authors. I would like to try and read their other novels, but I have to be vigilant on choosing any of their titles. It has to be different from the first ones that I've read. 

The Book of The Dead, sadly, is a book I wasn't able to finish. I did try to read it, but I wasn't digging the story so I gave up. The authors are good writers but they are not my cup of tea. Their writing style wasn't enough for me, I needed more. Cheerz! 



My Rating: 2 stars 
 


4 comments:

mjomesa said...

i think it did not fit in your taste.

well, the alchemist worked on me.

anyway, nice reads. hehehehe

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@mj: hey. yup, the alchemist really is not my taste. i don't know why. maybe i really like adventure, fantasy, and suspense genre.

macz said...

whahaha..maybe the reason why i love this site is that we both have the same taste kuya rupert.. :) adventure, fantasy & suspense,, :D


first visit ko sa site mo & i'm sure i'll be back here.. :D kip it up kuya.. :D

Ruperto Prieto Jr. said...

@Macz: Hi Macz! Salamat ng marami. I hope to hear from you again. If you want you can join the OCTOBER giveaway. Just follow the instructions. Para you can have a valid entry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!