Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Review: That Camden Summer by La Vyrle Spencer

 SYNOPSIS:

The year is 1916. The place is a tiny New England village called Camden--where a newly divorced woman learns that love can be more special the second time around.When free-thinking divorcee Roberta Jewett returns to her hometown of Camden, Maine, she discovers that small-town folk consider a divorced woman little more than a prostitute. Condemned by her mother and scorned by neighbors, she nonetheless perseveres in her struggle to forge a good life for her girls and herself. Behaving like no "respectable" woman would, she gets a job as a county nurse, learns to drive, and buys her very own Model T. Embittered by her painful marriage to an unfaithful husband, she has no intention of being any man's victim again. So when widowed carpenter Gabriel Farley begins work renovating her house, Roberta's first response to him is blatant resentment. But Gabriel's quiet, vibrant masculinity soon finds a way to soothe Roberta's heart.And in the ultimate test of will and devotion, she must depend on the man she has grown to love and summon the courage to stand up to an entire town.
MY REVIEW:

I rarely read romance stories, a very simple reason that I don't is that I prefer to read other novels with thriller, sci-fi, fantasy and detective ingredients an author can mixed up to interest me on buying it. But when I took a chance in this particular novel, I was surprised on how strongly I reacted to the story. it's not your ordinary boy-meets-girl kind of books I happen to come across with. It has more depth into it and the plot is so engaging that i wanted the author to concoct a sequel to it. It's that good. That's a bit impossible since she had retired years ago. 

I was a bit saddened by that news but at least during her tenure she managed to write books that continue to touch lives with her extraordinary characters. This day is very special to me, this is the birth of my blog! Cheerz! 

My Rating: 5 Stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks like a nice book. i'll try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit my photo gallery to see my books! Click the picture!